Compliance Support Officer (Guernsey)
About the role
The overriding responsibility of this role is to ensure that compliance policies and procedures meet regulatory requirements, that appropriate controls are in place and that employees are aware of, and adhere to, policies, procedures and controls. This role will be based in our Guernsey office.
About the successful candidate
This role is suited to an individual with upwards of three years’ experience working in either the Fiduciary or Fund sector. There is a clear opportunity for progression and promotion within this small but growing business, so ideally the candidate will be focused, willing to learn and take on new opportunities. The successful candidate will be supported to undertake relevant professional qualifications.
About the Group
MJ Hudson, the asset management consultancy, provides expertise and infrastructure support to fund managers, investors and other specialists in the asset management industries. The firm’s services include law, fund management solutions (including IR & marketing services), international administration, investment advisory, and data & analytics.
This comprehensive range of capabilities, coupled with MJ Hudson’s ability to draw on many industry perspectives, allows the firm to build project teams that are extremely effective at helping clients achieve multiple goals. From its offices across Europe’s major asset management centres and North America, MJ Hudson’s team of more than 150 professionals works for clients managing and advising more than $1Trn of assets. The firm has expertise in all traditional and alternative asset classes, including equities and bonds, private equity, venture capital, hedge funds, real estate, infrastructure, energy, and credit.
MJ Hudson operates out of offices in London, Amsterdam Jersey, Guernsey, Zurich, Milan, Luxembourg, Canada and USA and has 5 operating divisions:
- Law – Specialist legal services for alternative asset management, focused on M&A and investment funds.
- Investment Advisory – Investment advice and research for institutional investors, wealth managers and family offices.
- Fund Management Solutions – A multi-funds platform providing support and regulatory cover to asset managers and advisers, as well as integrated investor reporting, marketing and investor relations services.
- International Administration – A Channel Islands, London and Luxembourg-based fund and corporate administration and fiduciary team.
- Data & Analytics – Benchmarking and ratings services, consulting, market research, and specialist workflow tools for fund managers and investors.
The key responsibilities will be in respect of MJ Hudson Fiduciaries Limited and MJ Hudson Fund Management (Guernsey) Limited.
- You will be an integral part of the team and will provide support on all matters related to the businesses compliance with regulatory requirements, including policies and procedures, training programmes, supporting on liaison with GFSC / FIS, updating control registers etc;
- Educate employees on not only the regulations, but also the impact on the organisation if these aren’t complied with;
- Assist the Compliance Officer to maintain various registers for regulatory and risk management purposes and undertake the compliance monitoring programmes;
- Assist in the client onboarding process and the monitoring / managing of existing client relationships. This will include performing background checks, reviewing due diligence documentation, undertaking periodic reviews and other ancillary functions;
- Assistance with CRS and FATCA reporting;
- Communicating with clients as appropriate;
- Helping to co-ordinate inter division and inter jurisdiction common compliance procedures;
- Ensure that findings are recorded and followed up with management so that any issues can be rectified.
Mandatory Key Attributes
- Attention to detail and accuracy;
- Good understanding of the GFSC Handbook and relevant laws and regulations, the ability to apply this pragmatically and commercially, whilst ensuring compliance;
- Highly organised and able to use initiative when working alone or as a member of a team;
- Enhanced awareness of the varying risks in AML/CFT and compliance and the ability to keep up to speed with the regulatory environment changes;
- Independence and ability to articulate clearly with excellent communication skills;
- Project management skills;
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel and Word in particular).
Preferred Attributes (not essential)
- Professional Compliance or AML/CFT qualification
- Experience working within a small but growing team;
- Knowledge of Viewpoint;
- Good level of understanding of CRS and FATCA reporting;
- Experience of preparing and/or delivering training;