The Associate will be a core member of the research team and will assist with a variety of high-impact projects for institutional clients. The team covers all asset classes with the focus being on alternative investments, specifically alternative risk premia, hedge funds and private markets.
About the Group
MJ Hudson, the asset management consultancy, provides expertise and infrastructure support to fund managers, investors and other specialists in the asset management industries. The firm’s services include law, fund management solutions (including IR & marketing services), international administration, investment advisory, and data & analytics.
This comprehensive range of capabilities, coupled with MJ Hudson’s ability to draw on many industry perspectives, allows the firm to build project teams that are extremely effective at helping clients achieve multiple goals. From its offices across Europe’s major asset management centres and North America, MJ Hudson’s team of more than 165 professionals works for clients managing and advising more than $1trn of assets. The firm has expertise in all traditional and alternative asset classes, including equities and bonds, private equity, venture capital, hedge funds, real estate, infrastructure, energy, and credit.
MJ Hudson operates out of offices in London, Jersey, Guernsey, Zurich, Milan, Luxembourg, Canada and USA and has 5 operating divisions:
- Law – Specialist legal services for alternative asset management, focused on M&A and investment funds.
- Investment Advisory – Investment advice and research for institutional investors, wealth managers and family offices.
- Fund Management Solutions – A multi-funds platform providing support and regulatory cover to asset managers and advisers, as well as integrated investor reporting, marketing and investor relations services.
International Administration – A Channel Islands, London and Luxembourg-based fund and corporate administration and fiduciary team.
- Data & Analytics – Benchmarking and ratings services, consulting, market research, and specialist workflow tools for fund managers and investors.
Key tasks and responsibilities
- Research managers, funds, and the markets in which they operate, with a focus on alternative investments
- Contribute to both investment and operational due diligence on fund managers
- Report writing, comprising due diligence reports, economic reviews and research pieces.
- Support manager selection mandates
- Contribute to qualitative and quantitative analyses including portfolio optimisation
- Developing expertise quickly on major sectors of interest to the investment community
- Liaise with other departments from MJ Hudson- from the firm’s law offering to our fund management solutions offering- to provide a one-stop shop for alternative investments
- A minimum of 3 years’ relevant experience within alternative investments
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent report writing skills and ability to communicate complex ideas
- Ability to complete projects on time and accurately
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and adjust to changing deadlines
- Ability to use initiative and work independently, taking ownership
- Good verbal communication skills
- Good analytical and quantitative skills, including Excel skills and appetite to learn Excel VBA
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Interest in investment consultancy
- Drive, energy and ambition to achieve results
- Background in alternative investments, especially private markets (private equity, private credit, infrastructure…)
- Previous experience in investment consultancy or asset management preferable
- Previous experience with screening fund manager databases
- Basic interest in quantitative software (eg Python)
- Proficient in PowerPoint
- Part-qualified professional qualifications such as the CFA are welcomed
Candidates must have an upper-second level degree from a good university, ideally in finance, mathematics, engineering, sciences or business. Candidates must be physically located and eligible to live and work in the United Kingdom.