Guy joined MJ Hudson’s team of lawyers in 2013. His focus is PE fund structuring, M&A and the financing component of transactions including in relation to secondaries, acquisition finance & secured loan facilities. He also specialises in emerging market transactions, particularly in relation to Russia and the continent of Africa.
Guy trained at Pannone & Partners in Manchester and qualified in 1999. He spent time in the funds group at SJ Berwin from where he was seconded for one year to that firm’s New York associate Kronish Lieb in 2001. From 2003 until 2007 he worked in corporate finance at Clifford Chance’s office in Moscow before moving to Hogan Lovells in London.
Education and Qualifications
- Undergraduate, English Literature, Hull University
- MA, Mass Communications, University of Memphis, Tennessee
- English law qualification, Manchester University
- Solicitor (England and Wales)
- TLG Capital (an evergreen credit fund): advising (i) secured debt investment of $10m into BroadBand Home, a Ghanaian broadband provider in May 2014; (ii) secured (by bank guarantee and debenture) $25m debt investments to GetBucks Limited, a pan-African microfinance provider (involved bilateral facilities with subsidiaries in Zimbabwe, Malawi and Kenya).
- Energy Access Ventures (DFI backed energy fund). MJH structured this fund which raised €54m at initial close to fund the provision of electricity to sub-Saharan Africa.
- African Frontier Capital (PE manager focused on African infrastructure investments). MJH advised on formation of its inaugural investment fund and acquisition of a Ugandan power plant. We subsequently advised on the acquisition of rail infrastructure assets in S. Africa and a real estate portfolio in Mozambique.
Guy is a keen ski mountaineer in his free time.