Restructuring, Finance and Insolvency
Our capabilities span the full range of contemporary restructuring, fund and portfolio financing, insolvency and turnaround matters, including UK and cross-border refinancings, workouts, distressed transactions and corporate insolvencies.
MJ Hudson’s restructuring, finance and insolvency practice advises financial institutions, debt and equity investors, companies and directors on the legal and practical challenges they face if they, or the assets to which they are exposed, are under stress or are distressed.
Whether the solution takes the form of a covenant reset/repayment holiday, a refinancing of existing debt, a fresh financing or a more structured solution such as a reorganisation, restructuring or even an insolvency process, MJ Hudson has a clear understanding of the areas of concern and potential liabilities for those involved, and is able to provide reassuring and timely advice in what may be new and unknown situations.
The practice draws expertise and experience from across the firm’s practice areas including capital markets, corporate transactions, tax and regulation to provide clients with comprehensive solutions to complex issues. Typical engagements include:
- Restructuring, re-sets or refinancing of corporate debt (inc. senior and mezzanine bank debt, high yield bonds, shareholder/sponsor debt)
- Credit and security reviews, contingency planning, risks/”fatal flaw” analyses
- Representation of purchasers and sellers who routinely or opportunistically acquire or sell distressed assets.
- Specialty lending and rescue financing to companies in financial stress or those undergoing a turnaround
- “Loan to own” or “loan to influence” activist situations
- Advising credit funds on direct lending matters across the capital structure and credit spectrum
- Claims trading as part of a buy low, sell high strategy or to exercise control in a debtor’s insolvency
- Advice on UK insolvency procedures and board advisory (inc. directors’ duties in the ‘twilight’ period pre insolvency)
Refinancings and Corporate Reorganisations
Financial Restructuring and Distressed Transactions
Distressed Debt and Insolvency Advisory